Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sbleep and Other Holiday Things

Yes, sbleep. This is what I call 'sleep' when I'm deprived of it (or feeling ridiculous). Considering that I got two hours of sleep last night and maybe a thirty minute nap this afternoon, I think I'm doing pretty well. 'Tis the holiday season, after all, and today the fam and I ran up to Washington DC for Thanksgiving with the grandparents. I'm always grateful to visit here (even if some things continually throw me, like the amount of food available and my access to exercise), but I am especially thankful this year because for a few weeks in October I was afraid my grandfather wasn't going to make it to the holiday season.

He did, however, and all is (relatively) well here. This means I can devote my break to the two most important aspects of my life: sleep and homework.

I hear the angels sniggering. Or weeping, as the case may be.

While I'm not an insomniac I do sometimes lack the desire or inclination to sleep. This doesn't do me any favors during the school year, unless it's crunch time and I have a ton of stuff to do, and it definitely doesn't help during breaks when one is supposed to catch up on, not lose, sleep. Sbleep. And yet during every break I find myself staying up to insane hours of the early morning doing nothing of any significance, reveling in (and wasting) my precious recovery time from daily life. For me, breaks from school tend towards boredom, family exposure, baking, and excessive amounts of wasted time. Oh yes, I am a champion time-waster (although my boyfriend tops me, poor thing, with his complete inability to focus even when he has five papers due on the same day and hasn't slept for a week).

So, sbleep. It's a wonderful, bizarre thing. Sometimes I sleep and wake up more exhausted than when I went to bed; other times I'm so exuberant I nearly kill myself getting up. It's a crap-chute as to whether or not sleep helps me or hurts me, but one thing remains constant:

I never get enough of it when I'm supposed to.

Zzzzzzz...
WolfGrr1

No comments:

Post a Comment