Saturday, March 16, 2013

Only Human

I am a pair of eyes that finds wonder in you;
I am a jigsaw of smiles and tears;
I am the soul that glows when you're near
And the hands that would lift every shadow from your face.

I am imperfect, only human -
Often incoherent, often incomprehensible.
I am not magic, but flesh and blood;
I bleed, I cry, and I laugh for you.

I am sorry for being human,
But humanity is what I have to offer;
Humanity and an open mind
And a hesitant heart that loves too fiercely.

I can't promise mountains and rivers of gold
Or perfect happiness in every moment
But I will try -
I'll try and not count the cost.

That's what love is, I guess:
Not counting the cost of words and deeds,
But weighing that cost
As though tomorrow depends on it.

I don't fight with big actions, but small ones;
I struggle too, to find my way.
It's so new, this world we've built
And so terrifyingly fragile.

I don't want to break it.
But I also don't want to break.
After all, I'm
Only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment