Saturday, July 7, 2012

Missing From Me

I know in the past I've mentioned that I don't think French is a very romantic language. Well, there are definitely aspects of it that get right to the heart of the matter ('scuse the pun). In French, one says "Tu me manques" for "I miss you." The literal translation of this is "You are missing from me."

My boyfriend lives very far away from me right now. We do the best we can, and we are pros at adjusting to crappy internet, dropped Skype calls, time differences and shipping costs. I believe that a long-term, long-distance relationship is completely possible if both people are invested in it. We are invested, but it makes us appreciate the little things we don't yet have all the more.

I have never missed another person's physical presence the way I miss his. It's hard to combat, this yearning, for it is nothing I've ever had to deal with before. I don't know if I should distract myself by being happy, being angry, being sad, or being asleep. I am at a loss when it comes to solving this emotional dilemma. Last night I tried an old standby: when unable to sleep, write.

Those of you who followed me from Deviant Art have probably already seen this poem. But there are some of you who have no idea that I write (aside from infrequent blog entries, and school papers). So I'll put the poem here too. This is how I describe the feeling that someone is missing from me.

i am missing more than you
i am missing the warmth of you at my back;
the weight of your arm keeping me from floating away

i am missing being able to wind your hair around my finger
and the way you smile when i come running.

i am missing more than you,
for you are more
than three vowels and a breath.

you are the hand i reach for
and the laugh that answers mine
the reason i can't sleep
and the reason i dream

you are missing from me
tu me manques.

tu me manques, toujours.

Thank you for reading. 
WolfGrrl

1 comment:

  1. Ohh i should have written the comment from dA on here... hahaha same applies* :P

    ReplyDelete