Tuesday, May 8, 2012

WIP

Humanity is such a work in progress.

I live in what was once considered the most advanced nation in the world. No longer, folks. No longer. We have become a nation of petty, cheating, lying, scandel-mongering, closed-minded fools.

Love does not conform. The greatest love stories of all time - the ones which touch the hearts of millions and have endured for centuries - are those which cross boundaries. Romeo and Juliet were forbidden to love. Helen and Paris. Rose and Jack. The kind of love which is professed by God for all His children - yes, screaming religious fanatics, all His children - is the kind of love that transcends boundaries. It is not the place of humankind to determine what is 'natural' and what is 'unnatural.' If that were so, religious fantatics would be covered in vomit-and-orange scales. They would also live in a pit full of sand, salt, and fleas and be watered with vinegar and Antifreeze.

Love does not choose when and where it shall bloom. Love is a matter of the heart and soul, not the mind, not the body. Love is waking up to see someone; love is thinking, even for a moment, of another person. Love is courage and strength and happiness. Trust me on this.

So why, then, should a nation be responsible for saying who can love and who cannot? What grounds have we as humans to determine this for others? What if someone came to your door, right now, and told you that your boyfriend, girlfriend, mother, father, had to leave? You would fight. You would rage. You would scream and cry and carry on like hell.

At first I was angry that my state took away its citizens' right to choose whom to love. Now I am sad. Sad and...regretful. This world here, this small corner of misguided humanity, doesn't deserve my anger. It doesn't deserve my presence, either. I will follow the precepts of a religion I don't believe in: I will turn the other cheek. I will go away.

This is not the world I want to live in. Love is precious to me; I won't force others to give up what I have only recently come to understand. I tried to do the right thing. I failed, but I tried. This isn't my fault. I'm not sure there is a fault. Right and Wrong...I'm not sure they exist. Moral absolutes only cause problems. Love isn't absolute. Life isn't absolute. We can all die; that's absolute. Maybe we should. Maybe the Apocalypse is meant to wipe the Earth clean of prejudice and hatred and blindness. Out of chaos, we will be born again.

WolfGrrl

No comments:

Post a Comment