Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Am I a Grade-Grubber? How to Tell

Apparently I'm entering the advice business.
We are all (unfortunately) familiar with Grade-Grubbers: those people who, when the professor announces extra-credit for an exam or the TA polls the class on redoing an assignment, snap their hand up faster than Hermione Granger and demand to know the cut-off limit for the extra credit/retest/accumulation of further points. There was a girl in my geology lab, first semester freshman year, who, when the TA offered to let the students who were unhappy with their latest test grade retake the test in his office after class, wanted to know if she could retake even though her grade was 99/100. He looked stupefied that she'd want to, and told her no. These people are the ones I am talking about.

Now, I've sent my share of emails to professors and TAs asking them to re-evaluate an assignment because I feel the grade I received was one I didn't deserve. However, I exercise *common sense* when doing this (as with all relationships of this sort, err on the side of caution when asking for favors and your chances of receiving them when you need them improve drastically). My rule of thumb for making a fuss (or sending a politely worded email of confusion) is to only pick scenarios where I am either aware of a gross discrepancy in grading (I participate directly, every day, and receive a lower grade than someone who never speaks or shows up for class) or scenarios where the principle is significantly more important than the actual grade. I don't make a fuss over something worth ten points, or if my grade will only rise by two points. (Hint: people that do are edging into GG territory.)

So how to do you know if you're a Grade-Grubber? Most people know, but if you're particularly clueless here are a few helpful hints to get you started:

1. The GG constantly checks with classmates to ensure a sufficient margin of "over-achievement" is maintained. (The guy who asks everyone around him what they got on the assignment, then sits back looking smug once they answer.)
2. The GG begins all arguments/dialogues with a variation on "In my paper..." or "The professor really liked it when I said..."
3. The GG makes everything a competition. ("Oh, it only took you ten minutes to shower? I can do it in five if I'm in a rush." "I bet I can finish my paper before you and have ______ edit it for me.")

These are the most obvious warning signs offhand, but as with Identifying the Teacup Human there are many more. Grade-Grubbing is most prevalent in overachieving individuals, or ones who are highly competitive. I, being resentful of comparatives (and also dangerously addicted to them) try to avoid these people. Besides, they're extremely irritating to talk to, and often leave me feeling nauseated and frustrated. If you think you are a Grade-Grubber, I have one further piece of advice: Seek professional help. Immediately.

Oh. And don't come near me.
This is WolfGrrl.

No comments:

Post a Comment